The first building on the left of old Mill Street was used as a Post Office until 1927. That year, street lights made their first appearance in Chemainus, with power provided by the V L & M Co. Ltd.
Beyond the Post Office, towards the water, stood the sawmill superintendent’s office.
The company store closed its doors in September 1949, after 65 years of service. When the building was demolished a year later, wreckers discovered that the frame was made of clear lumber, with some pieces over 12.19 metres (40 ft) long, without a knot or defect of any kind!
Several boxes containing cast steel ox shoes, bearing the date 1885, were found under the floor.
Also depicted in the mural is a time clock shelter to the right of the employee parking area. Gordon Wharf and the government wharf recede into the background of Chemainus Harbour.