In a composite of scenes, Chemainus Hospital, built in 1899, sits majestically at the left of the mural. When built, it was the only hospital between Victoria and Nanaimo. It remains a strong focus in the community even today.
Some of the doctors, nurses, staff and patients from over the years are portrayed in the foreground across the expanse of the mural. From left to right are: Nurse Graham, Head Cook Chang, Nurse Johnson, Ruth Heslip (wheelchair), Dr. Herbert Burritt Rogers, and Nurse MacDougal, holding an infant.
Dr. Rogers was the first medical doctor to work out of the newly constructed hospital in 1900. Before obtaining his medical degree from McGill University in Montreal, he had the distinction of being one of Canada’s earliest appendectomy patients. While working as a postal inspector, he again led the way, carrying the first official mail to Victoria on the newly completed Canadian Pacific Railway. He was a well-loved resident of Chemainus for many years and retired as the Medical Superintendent of the Chemainus Hospital in 1936.